Story of the Building of the Church
In 1907 Coulsdon was growing rapidly with easy access to London via the new Coulsdon North Station built by the London and Brighton and South Coast Railway. A few Methodists were meeting in the home of Thomas E. Bond; they later met at the Working Men's Club in Lion Green. The Methodist Recorder of March 23rd 1911 had a headline, "London's Latest Methodist Outpost", showing pictures of Coulsdon and emphasising the need for a suitable church building in Coulsdon.
By 1910 the site on Brighton Road had been purchased for £800 and fundraising began. About this time Sir Horace Marshall, a former Lord Mayor London, came to live in Chipstead and made generous gifts of some £3,000 and an offer to match any funds raised, on the condition that the church built should be "fit for a man to worship in"! There is a memorial tablet to this benefactor on the north wall of the church and the adjacent pew is wider than all the others.
The stone laying ceremony took place, in a snow storm, on 5th April 1911 and the finished church was opened on 11th November in the same year. The final cost was £7,835.
27 February 2011: Morning worship
2 April 2011: Guests - John and Merle Bown
3 April 2011 - Morning worship with communion - Preacher: Revd John Bown
11 June 2011 - Flower Festival Celebration Supper - Guests - Rex and Margaret Owen
12 June 2011 - Flower Festival morning worship - Preacher: Revd. Rex Owen
September - Harvest Supper and International Quiz
5 November 2011 - Anniversary concert
6 November 2011 - Centenary service - Preacher - Revd. Faith Nyota
We are on Facebook - Coulsdon Methodist Church Centenary
In February we celebrated the first event of our Centenary year. Disappointingly our main guests, Frank and Olwyn May, were unable to be with us. A good service took place, followed by an excellent lunch.